On This Morning!
Debtwizard Facebook Debtwizard Twitter

Call 03339 870 180  
Monday to Thursday: 9.00am - 8.00pm, Friday 9.00am - 5.30pm

Simple debt advice - with no up-front costs

Energy suppliers - How to complain

Friday, 22nd January 2010

026-marlin-financialIf you need to complain about an energy supplier then we have produced a simple to use three step guide to help you.

Step one

The regulator Ofgem has issued complaint handling standards for all these firms so the first thing you need to do is raise the issue with your energy supplier; they will then have eight weeks to settle the dispute. If you go to the Energy This eight week period applies to big six energy suppliers British Gas, Eon, EDF, ScottishPower, Npower and Scottish and Southern Energy and twelve weeks for smaller suppliers.

It is important that you keep a record of the details about your complaint, for example if it is about a meter reading then note the date it was taken and what the reading was, also keep a copy of any letters or documents you post to the supplier. This may well prove useful later on for reference purposes.

Step two

If your complaint is not resolved within the eight weeks or twelve weeks, according to which supplier you use, then you will need to contact Citizens Advice Consumer Service, although they will be unable to intervene on your behalf they will be able to assess your complaint and then advise you of who can help.

If you come under the category of a vulnerable person, this is someone on a low income or you are in receipt of benefits, then you can contact Citizens Advice Consumer Service

An important point, this agency will not be able to take up your complaint until you have given the relevant energy supplier the opportunity to resolve the issue as described in step one.

Step three

If your complaint to your energy supplier has still not been resolved then contact the free and independent Energy Supply Ombudsman. The Ombudsman can order the energy supplier to take action on your behalf and can force them to deal with your complaint; sometimes this may result in an apology or even compensation.

Energy Supply Ombudsman

They will usually be able to deal with phone enquiries on the spot so phoning them may be quicker than using the online enquiry form or writing to them.

Monday - Friday 9am - 5pm. Telephone:  0330 440 1624 

03 numbers may be cheaper to use if you use a mobile phone or phone provider other than BT, and will be "free" if you pay a monthly charge for calls to numbers starting 01 or 02.

If your first language is not English they can offer a telephone interpreter service.

Textphone:  0330 440 1600 

They will take calls from those using RNID Typetalk Relay and TextDirect Services.

Online enquiry form

Please add as much detail as possible their online enquiry form, this will help them deal with your enquiry more quickly.


If you're having problems using our online enquiry form or you want to attach additional documents to your enquiry, you can use our email address This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Useful links

Regulator Ofgem

Citizens Advice Bureau

Citizens Advice Consumer Service

Energy Supply Ombudsman



For no nonsense advice just submit the short form and Mike or one of his team will get back to you.

Unsecured debt

--Debt Amount--

Home owner

Yes No

No. of creditors


Current payments

£0 - £25

Affordable payments

£0 - £25



Email Address

Phone Number


Yes No Can we leave a voicemail

Yes No Can we contact you via SMS

Yes No Can we contact you via email

Best time to call


Please note: If you continue you are agreeing to our privacy policy, available here.